DEADLINE HAS PASSED. Project will be selected and the winner will be announced this summer.
This new program provides one deserving curator the necessary time and resources to realize an innovative project, with the aim of encouraging curatorial research in tandem with exhibition planning. CUE will provide institutional guidance and resources to the curator, who will produce a group exhibition in CUE's space with related public programming and an accompanying exhibition catalogue in July 2014.
Proposals will be evaluated on merit of project, singularity of concept, and adherence to the application guidelines. Please note: applicant and all proposed artists must live or work in the United States. All applications submitted will be considered final and treated as such. You will not, under any circumstances, be permitted to add or edit your application once it has been submitted. All incomplete or duplicate applications will be immediately disqualified.
For a list of Frequently Asked Questions, please click FAQ at the left. For questions regarding application requirements, please contact Jessica Gildea, Associate Director of Programs: jessica(at)cueartfoundation.org
1. Proposals must be conceptually rigorous and focus on artists, projects, and themes that are innovative, challenging, and engaging. The majority of artists proposed must qualify as under-recognized (no gallery representation and no solo exhibitions in a major venue within the past ten years).
2. Extra consideration will be given to proposals that clearly demonstrate a unique and creative approach to both curatorial research methods and the exhibition plan, as well as those that present ideas or topics that are not well-represented in the commercial sector.
3. The proposal must investigate and promote the activities of four or more artists. Curators may not include their own work in the exhibition.
4. Extra consideration will be given to those in the beginning stages of their curatorial careers.
5. Proposals must include a line-item budget and a list of potential artists with images.
6. CUE strongly encourages applications that contribute to our ongoing commitment to diversity.
1. An exhibition proposal of up to 1000 words that outlines both the background and plan for the exhibition.
2. A list of at least four potential artists
3. At least one image per artist, or up to one minute of video per artist for video and time-based work
4. A detailed image list
5. A line-item budget
6. Curator's CV
The selected applicant will be awarded a $1000 honorarium and a maximum exhibition/production budget of $3500. CUE will contribute up to $1500 toward shipping expenses and up to $4000 for catalogue production.
Images must be submitted as JPEGs, with filenames formatted as such: ARTISTLASTNAME_1.jpeg. Video samples may be .mov or .mp4. All video samples must be accompanied by a link to the full piece, to be included in the image list.
Final selection will be made in Summer 2013 by an independent jury, including members of CUE's Advisory Council. Panelists will be announced at a later date, and all applicants will be notified by September 2013.